BERWICK ADVERTISER, 2ND SEPTEMBER 1921

BRIDGE TO BRIDGE SWIMMING RACE AT BERWICK

T. ORMISTON WINS “VISCOUNT GREY” TROPHY

A crowd of some three thousand people watched the Bridge to bridge race held in the Tweed on Thursday night last under the auspices of Berwick Amateur Swimming Club and they were privileged to see one of the best races ever held for the trophy presented by Viscount Grey. The only regrettable feature in the proceedings was the poor collection taken, this only being a little over £3, or practically a contribution of £1 per 1000 of those who witnessed the race. As the Swimming Club depends largely on public support for the providing of prizes and running these races, it is hoped greater financial help will be I future extended by the public, otherwise the Club will have to cut out the Bridge to Bridge race and School Gala from their annual programme.

Berwick upon Tweed, Old Bridge

Nine competitors entered for the race. L. B. Dickinson, T. Ormiston, A. P. Hall, A. Erskine ( Kelso), E. J. Denholm, G. Adamson, W. Brotherton, W. Graham and Joe Renton, and when the lot got off their mark in a bunch it was soon evident that the race was going to be keen one. Ormiston and Dickinson swam neck to neck until about thirty yards from the Boathouse when Ormiston drew ahead by about two lengths and Erskine came level with Dickinson, Hall being close up. Up to thirty yards from the Royal Border Bridge Ormiston kept adding to his lead and then Dickinson made a wonderful spurt. He came up hand over hand on Ormiston who only crossed the line a yard and half ahead. The time for the race was 12mins, 12 secs., and a great cheer went up as the men finished.

WOOLER AS A HEALTH RESORT

NEW DEVELOPMENTS

A RUN OVER THE CARTER BAR

The advent of the motor car and char-a-banc have been the means of opening up the country surrounding Wooler, and it is ow possible to do a hundred-mile journey in the district comfortably in one day. It was my privilege to take a trip over the carter Bar a week or two ago in an easy-riding char-a-banc at a very reasonable cost.

Char-a-banc 1920s

Other trips are run during the season to Bamburgh (half-day), Scotland, Edinburgh, etc. These have been largely taken advantage of by visitors, and have added quite a fresh interest to Wooler. Our company, when I went, numbered some twenty-six souls, composed mostly of visitors, with a sprinkling of natives, and a most agreeable company we were. Leaving the Market Place just after 10 a.m. in dull, but fine, weather, we were soon rattling along the road at a steady pace, admiring the scenery as we went. The Haugh Head was soon reached. The old building was for long occupied by the late Kitty Jobson as a beer-house, and before the battle of Flodden (1513) was the head-quarters of Lord Surrey, leader of the English troops, which were camped on Wooler Haugh. The next place that engages attention is Lilburn Tower, the seat of Mr A. B. Collingwood, and its prettily wooded grounds. The dainty lodge at the West entrance looked very pretty with its floral decorations. Hedgeley, with its pretty little cottages, and Crawley Dene are soon left behind, and we are next brought into touch with the ravages of the late war, as Roughley Wood was denuded of its timber and now presents a dreary aspect. A brighter scene awaited us, for Runside Moor was a blaze of purple heather, there being hundreds of acres of it without a break. Our first stopping place was Rothbury, and by the time we had reached there the mist had lifted and the sun began to make its appearance.

BRO 426-1230 Wooler

The village was quite alive, as our friend, Mr R. Donkin, was holding one of his periodical sales of lambs at the spacious mart buildings. After a short stay our journey was resumed through a well-wooded district by way of Thropton, Hepple Old Town, etc. Numerous pretty cottages were passed with happy and smiling inhabitants, who invariably greeted us with a wave of the hand. The scenery begins to change as we ascend the somewhat steep banks. The surrounding hills, bathed in the now bright sunlight, were looking splendid, their sides being here and there covered with heather in full bloom. Our next break was at the old-time village of Elsdon, which nestles in a pretty valley a few miles from Otterburn. The village green is of considerable dimensions, and there is no suspicion of over-crowding. Like all Border villages, Elsdon has a history dating back hundreds of years, when the feuds between the English and Scotch were common. The old church contains some old tablets, fine old windows, and other interesting features, which we had not time to thoroughly examine. Our friend, Mr Brannen, of the Hotel, saluted us as we passed his comfortable hostelry. Otterburn was soon reached, where the famous mills are situated and the noted wraps made. Some time was spent in this pretty, old-time village, and a number of us had lunch at the old-fashioned inn. The church and the pretty chancel was surveyed, while others took a stroll up the burn-side which, although only a tiny stream, rose on one memorable occasion, flooding the hotel and other buildings to the depth of several feet. Between here and Catcleugh the scenery becomes wilder and more romantic. The County Council are making an effort to improve the road over the Carter Bar, but, judging by the few hands employed, it will take some time to complete the job. With so much unemployment here is a chance for putting a few extra hands in useful work. At Catcleugh is the large lake constructed by the Newcastle Water Company. The fine stretch of water with scarcely a ripple on its surface formed a fine setting to the surrounding hills with their craggy peaks or rounded tops. The road leading to the Carter Bar, which is the deciding line between England and Scotland, is in places very steep and the surface not of the best, but much improved on what it was a year ago. On reaching the bar a halt was called to admire the wide and magnificent view. Hill and valley, woodland scenes and heather-clad hills make up a panorama of surpassing grandeur. Several snapshots were here taken, which ought to be interesting mementos in days to come. After a short stay, we resumed our journey. The ride was through a nicely wooded district into Jedburgh, which town also has a history.

BRO 1796-1-10 High Street, Kirk Yeholm early 20th century

The ruins of the old Abbey proved a great source of attraction, and also the old Castle on the hill, from the top of which a charming view of Jedburgh and neighbourhood is obtained. After a refreshing cup of tea, the homeward journey was resumed, passing through the villages of Morebattle and Yetholm as the sun was setting in the West, Kirknewton, nestling snugly at the foot of the College Burn and surrounded by hills looked most peaceful. Wooler was reached soon after 9 p.m., the party all having spent a memorable and enjoyable day’s outing.

EX-SOLDIER WISHES TO JUMP BERWICK BRIDGE

An unusual case came before Mr A. J. Dodds and Mr Walter Hogarth at Berwick Police Court on Tuesday. P. C. Lindsay gave evidence that at about 9 p.m. on the night before (Monday) he received a complaint off the disorderly behaviour of James Ohlsen, a painter, of Leith, who had been working I the town, and cautioned him. Ohlsen then went over the bridge towards Berwick. He took some money out of his pockets and attempted to climb up over the bridge. P.C. Lindsay then apprehended him and locked him up, and he was brought before the Bench charged with being drunk and disorderly. Ohlsen pleaded guilty. He regretted having caused trouble, which was due to his having had some drink, and stated that while serving in France he had been buried and ever since had been subjected to fits. He was fined 5s or 7 days.

Tales from Ponteland Workhouse

NRO 7471/1

Within our Oral History collection, we hold a recording of Arthur Halliday who grew up in Ponteland Workhouse. Arthur’s father, an ex-policeman, became Master of the institution in 1898 and held that position until his death in 1926. His mother, a nurse, was the Matron until 1930. Arthur was born in 1907, and spent his childhood in the workhouse and eventually ended up working there. He fondly reminisces about some of the inmates, food, and living conditions with a great deal of humour. 

What is very interesting is Arthur’s recollection of his parents attempts to help & rehabilitate workhouse inmates. He claims they had very ‘modern ways’ and that this was part of the reason they were given their positions as the Board of Guardians wanted to shake up workhouse management. His parents wanted to give inmates some self-respect as many had fallen on hard times and could not find employment. One man called Thomas was a skilled Tailor. He became an inmate but after a period he became employed to repair all types of clothing. He became friends with Jacob the Cobbler who was employed to repair all the workhouse boots. Jacob was a renowned poacher so as a favour, Thomas sewed a large poachers pocket into his jacket! Another man was a painter and decorator, and he would become an inmate every winter when it was difficult to find work. During his stay he would always offer his services and would paint any room that needed to be spruced up. There was a standard colour for the rooms which was brown at the bottom and cream at the top. A large percentage of men who were in the workhouse were labourers. As there was a large garden of about 2.5 acres, some of these men helped the gardener with digging and general maintenance. They also grew all the vegetables that were used in the kitchen.  

Arthur talks fondly about the Straw Jacks who were the casual farm labourers. They went around different farms, worked hard and slept in the hay lofts. Many of them were known only by nicknames such as Old Clogs, Coffee Tommy and Galloping Dick.  These labourers would always come into the workhouse for the winter. However, not all men worked. One male inmate was very well spoken and had come from a wealthy family. He had travelled the world but never settled anywhere or had the need to work. Arthur saw him as a man who couldn’t really cope in the world & when the money ran out, he was destitute. Workhouse inspections occurred every six months and on one occasion, an inspector recognised the man and it turned out that they had both been at Cambridge University together. 

There were long stay inmates and some were classed as imbeciles. One man would do anything for the Master and would follow him about and offer to bring him snuff. He loved horses and would look forward to the coal arriving by horse and cart. One day the cartman hit the horse and the inmate was so angry that he went after him with a stick. The cartman never came back to the workhouse! 

The layout of the bedrooms was briefly discussed. Women were in rooms of four beds and the men were in dormitories of no more than eight beds. The building had previously been used as an isolation hospital for typhoid patients. When his parents began their duties in 1898, there were still blankets that were used by these patients. All the blankets were red, and Arthur states that the reason for this was that they wouldn’t show as much blood as a white blanket would. These hospital blankets were washed and used in the workhouse.

The children were kept separate from the adults. At one time there were 42 children in the workhouse. Boys and girls were segregated and were kept until they were 14 then they were apprenticed out. It was often difficult to secure a position as not many people wanted a workhouse child.  

Arthur claimed that many people were fed better in the workhouse than many on the outside. A pint of porridge was the usual breakfast and lunch consisted of soup and 8 ounces of bread. It wasn’t a thin soup but more like a broth containing pieces of meat.  There was meat for dinner on alternate days and always a roast on a Sunday. There was always a pudding, often milk based such a rice or sago. This was largely because milk was cheap. Supper consisted of bread and butter. Cakes were made on the premises and often on the menu were rice cake and fruit cake.  

The building contained a maternity ward, and he recalls that there were quite a few births. Most were young girls who had fallen by the wayside. The workhouse had a part time doctor who would attend to check the child, but the nurse would assist with the birth. Arthur’s mother (who was a nurse) was also on hand. With illegitimate workhouse births, there was a list of people who were willing to adopt. The Relieving Officer would visit the house of any potential new parents to check their suitability. Arthur’s mother was often asked to accompany the officer. They had high standards and if the house was the least bit dirty, the baby would not be placed there. 95% of the babies in the Ponteland workhouse were eventually adopted.  

NRO 8535/2/1/116 Photograph of Mr Mortimer (chairman of Castle Ward Board of Guardians) bidding farewell to Mrs Halliday (Matron of Ponteland Workhouse) 1930.