BERWICK ADVERTISER, 31ST MARCH 1922

TOWN DEVELOPMENT

The last of the series of debates on Town Development held under the auspices of Berwick Debating Society was held in the Parochial Hall on Wednesday night, when Ald. Thos. Wilson presided over a good attendance.

Early 1900s photograph of the High Street, from the Scotsgate Arch. BRO 1636-2-9

In introducing Mr D. Boyd, Borough Sanitary Inspector, who led the debate, Ald. Wilson said after hearing Mr Paterson’s address he considered himself a back number. He had always thought himself progressive but he found himself hopelessly left in the progressive views put forward. He knew Mr Boyd to be one of Berwick’s progressives, and he felt sure his address would be productive of an interesting and helpful discussion.

THE DISCUSSION

Mr Jos. Seals again drew a fanciful picture of Berwick in 1962, picturing villas, detached and semi-detached, out ny the North Road and Halidon Hill, with avenues between, named after local business men. Tommy the Miller’s field and the Shambles Braes he saw turned into the “askew Cliff Gardens” with bands playing and crowds walking on a new Road night and day. (Laughter) A palatial hotel he saw rise on the site of the Academy, built by an enterprising native of the town, to be known as the Hotel Coffteako. His remarks produced great hilarity and in conclusion he remarked that though his description was a purely imaginary one, there was no reason why the town should not have some of the attractions he had sketched. (Applause)

Berwick Rowing Club Boat House and the New Road BRO 0426-440

Mr Davis, West Street, spoke in favour of developing the town as a health resort. The picture drawn by Mr Seals was not too farfetched. The day might yet come when Mr Seals would be looked upon as the prophet of Berwick. (Laughter) He advocated that the town should be advertised, and boomed in centres with large populations.

Capt. J. E. Carr thought the idea of cooperating with other centres on the Borders was a good one. Berwick was the natural outlet and the harbour only required a little development, a little deepening, to make it the place where the produce of other centres could be out on ship. Since the railway companies had been grouped Berwick had its opportunity. It was a sort of key place which offered the outlet for the Border district and cause railway competition. (Applause)

Councillor Dickinson spoke in support of the points raised by Mr Boyd, and at the close of his remarks said the town could never extend while confined with its walls. Yet when the initial step was taken to make an outlet through the ramparts at Wallace Green a petition was got up and actually furthered by one of the local newspapers, from which, he said, “I believe it actually eminated.” The other paper remained neutral. (Laughter)

Councillor Edminson suggested that much could be done to further the housing schemes of the Borough if everyone who could afford it subscribed say £50 with the object with the object of forming a building society. So far as she saw, the fault in, Berwick was that everything had been taken out, of it in past years and nothing put in. She was against the spoiling of the Walls by breaking clean through. The Wall’s were the town’s greatest asset. Thousands of visitors came to Berwick and if they spent at least £1 per head, it meant some £25,000 into the tills of the tradesmen of Berwick, as fully 25,000 people came in the summer season. She thought nothing should be done to destroy something which certainly attracted visitors.

Mr Robert Carr supported the paper so far, but in regard to the making Berwick a centre for sheep slaughter and its allied trades, he did not think this would ever develop to any extent.

Councillor Campbell and Mr R, K. Gaul spoke in favour of keeping alive the enthusiasm which had been shown at the development meetings held, and the latter moved that a message be sent from the meeting to the Council to the effect, the “the meeting unanimously approved of the adoption of a scheme of housing and town planning as advocated by Mr Patterson and pledging themselves to support the Council in putting it into effect.”

Mr Jos. Seals seconded, and it became the finding of the meeting.

Ald. Wilson wound up the debate and in the course of a few remarks said duty of the inhabitants did not end when they paid their rates. There was a duty incumbent on every man and woman to do something to try and make the Borough a better place to live in. He hoped as a result of these meetings an organisation would spring up which would cooperate with and help the Town Council in forwarding the development of the Borough.

WORKERS’ UNION AT WOOLER

IS THE SATURDAY HALF-HOLIDAY TO REMAIN

At the monthly meeting on Saturday night this branch affiliated with the Berwick-on-Tweed Division Labour Party and appointed Mr R. Handerson as its representative, Mr Borrell announced that the General Secretary (Mr Chas. Duncan) would speak at the Wooler Gala on June 26th, and that Mr Neil Maclean, M. P., member of the Workers’ Union Executive for Division 6, which includes North Northumberland, would pay a visit shortly and address a public meeting, probably in Berwick. With regard to the attack on the Saturday half-holiday, they must understand that it was the employers themselves who proposed that they should work the longer hours to November 11th and again from February 11th to compensate for the shortest days in the middle of winter, and to give an average 48-hour week for the four winter months. The as the best arrangement they could make to get the 48-hour week under daylight conditions, and they should stand to their agreement.

Wooler Ref: BRO 0426/626

The trouble over the hours arose from a misunderstanding about working up the breakfast and tea intervals allowed in the field. These intervals were quite a recent innovation, and there was a strong feeling among the workers that these breaks should not be worked up as the worker never left his duties. When the Union agreed to work up the tea time many members strongly objected, and the tea time was dropped on many farms and had not been revived. Possibly the breakfast time would go the same way. In any case each farm had better settle its own domestic arrangements as long as they kept to the agreed hours, but if they agreed to any increase they would be keeping some of their members out of employment.

BERWICK ADVERTISER, 17TH MARCH 1922

SALE OF CORPORATION ACADEMY

MR J.I.CAIRNS ACQUIRES THE PREMISES AT £3,150

In the Assembly Rooms of the King’s Arms Hotel on Thursday afternoon, Mr W. J. Bolam conducted a sale of property, chief among which was that part of the Corporation Estate known as the Corporation Academy, situated between High Street and Bankhill. There had numerous enquiries made regarding this property prior to the sale, and judging from the very large attendance present when the sale opened, there was great interest in the town in regard to its final destination.

BRO 0426-355 Hide Hill, showing the King’s Arms Hotel, Berwick-upon-Tweed

When bids were invited they came readily and the price mounted rapidly. Some of those present at the close of the sale were very much surprised to learn that Mr J. I. cairns had become the owner, as he was seen to leave after bidding up to £2,100, but he secured the lot at £3,150, Mr Hugh Percy, solicitor, having taken up the bidding on his behalf. Mr Cairns also became the owner of the condemned dwelling at 30 Golden Square, which abuts to the rear on the Academy premises, Mr Nelson, Berwick, bidding for it on his behalf.

The conditions of sale were read by the Town Clerk, Mr D. S. Twigg, after which Mr Bolam invited questions upon any point arising in the conditions.

Mr P. M. Henderson – Are we clearly to understand this property comes under Schedule 4?

The Town Clerk – We have the full consent of the various Government Departments who have approved the sale, and so far as I know that is all the consent that is necessary to sell.

Proceeding to sell the property, Mr Bolam said it was a somewhat sad occasion to be met to take part in the selling of the old Academy. The Academy had played an important part in the history of the town. Its pupils had gone to all parts of the world, and generally they had done well wherever they had gone. Circumstances however had arisen which had caused the school to be closed, and much though they might regret selling the old school they could not help it. Times had changed from those of the old days and they found they could not afford to run the school. That was the reason it was being offered. It was a beautiful site, probably the finest site ever offered in Berwick. There are no limitations to its development, and it would indeed make a splendid site for a hotel. A gentleman in the room, he knew, was going to bid for it for that purpose. The area of the site was over 2,000 square yards, and he specially drew the attention of prospective purchasers to the fact that the last plans prepared for the New Bridge showed the road being brought out only a little way below this property. A great many strangers had been making enquiries about the property and he hoped Berwickers would not forget their old fighting spirit, and by bidding keep the strangers out, and secure the site for some local industry. One point which he wished to make clear was that the windows of Bankhill Church Hall which overlooked the playground were only allowed to do so under agreement and they could be closed at the will of the owner.

BRO 1613-44, showing Bank Hill Church

The Bankhill entrance which the Corporation had been paying 1s per year for had now been redeemed, and the purchaser of the property would get uninterrupted passage to Bankhill free. The only thing the site needed was a side entrance, and the lot he would offer later in Golden square would afford an entrance of 30 feet in width. In regard to the reserve price the Corporation was in the hands of the Ministry of Health, who had fixed it. No doubt their reserve would be reached, but he wished to make it clear that they could not deal with anyone after the sale if the reserve was not reached. If they could not effect a sale they must go back to the Ministry for further consent to reduce the reserve price.

THE BIDDING

Offers being invited the lot was started at £1,000, and by bids of £100 it rose rapidly to £3,000, when the ardour of bidders began to cool. At £3,100 bids of £50 were taken, and at £3,150 the hammer fell to Mr Hugh Percy, solicitor, Alnwick, who was bidding for Mr J. I. Cairns.

The freehold premises at 30 Golden square, which were closed by the local Authority as unfit for habitation in 1914 and ordered to be demolished in 1915 ( the latter order however having never been enforced) were then offered. Starting at the modest sum of £5 the price rose to 350, when Mr Jas. Nelson, Berwick, bidding on behalf of Mr Cairns, got the fall of the hammer.

BERWICK ADVERTISER, 3RD MARCH 1922

DEATH OF MR EDWARD WILLOBY

THE LAST INMALE LINE OF OLD

BERWICK FAMILY

The death of Mr Edward Willoby, which took place at the residence of his sister, Mrs Anderson, Dunbar, at the week-end, removes one of the few old “standards” of Berwick, and also the last of the male line of a family which has been resident in the town since the sixteenth century. Mr Willoby’s health has been steadily failing since the death of his sister last April. He sometime ago disposed of the furnishings of the house in Ravensdowne and went to live with his widowed sister to whom he was very much attached. The end was not altogether unexpected by his more intimate friends.

AN OLD BERWICK FAMILY

Mr Willoby was the second son of the late Mr Edward Willoby, solicitor and Clerk to the Borough and County Magistrates, Guardians and Rural District Council, who died in 1893. His great grandfather was Borough Treasurer in 1763 and Town Clerk in 17765 and 1800, his grandfather, Mr William Willoby, succeeded to the post. Mr Willoby’s mother was a Miss Jane Gray prior to her marriage and he had one brother William, who died in 1885, and two sisters, Miss W. Willoby, who died last year, Mrs Anderson, who still survives. A tablet to this branch of the family was erected in Berwick Parish Church in November last.

Berwick Parish Church (c) John Box

Mr Willoby’s forebears having been Freemen, he, as a boy, attended the Corporation Academy and in after life always maintained a kindly interest in it. He was made a Freeman of the town in July 1866, and from that date was never non-resident until recently.

The Corporation Academy, now The Leaping Salmon public house, Berwick upon Tweed. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

AS ESTATE AGENT

Mr Willoby did not follow the legal profession of his forefathers, but set out on his own as an estate agent soon to cultivate an extensive business. He acted as local estate agent for the Duke of Northumberland and had supervision of the Magdalene Fields. Many will remember how at intervals he used to ride round the fields on horseback examining the fences. He was a great horseman and in connection with his business he used to make long journeys into Northumberland in the saddle. He had charge of the Coupland estate owned by the Culley family and was well-known in Glendale by the tenantry. For long too he has acted for the Askew family, when their estate was more extensive than now, and in the North Northumberland. Mr Askew and he were close friends. He never aspired to municipal honours or anything likely to take his mind off his business and that, no doubt, was the secret of his success as an agent.

A SPORTSMAN

From his earliest boyhood Mr Willoby was keen on sport. He had no particular fancy but if anything he had leanings towards rowing and fox hunting. He was one of the original committee of the Berwick Amateur Rowing Club in 1869 and an active member at the time when William Grey, Thomas Darling, and others trained on occasion late and early and could beat all comers at the regattas. Mr Willoby was most successful rowing in pairs. His brother William, who was also a good oarsman, was a member of the club at this time and between the two of them they won many prizes.

Berwick Rowing Club Boat House. BRO 0426-440

Readers who can take their memory back over twenty years will remember how keenly Mr Willoby followed the Northumberland and Berwickshire Hunt. If a meet was within riding distance of Berwick, he attended it in blue coat and white buckskin breeches. To see Mr Willoby coming up Hide Hill to his stables at the top of Woolmarket after the hunt, the horse tired and mudstained was as familiar a sight twenty years ago, as the old King’s Arms bus. He liked a gallop in the afternoons of summer days out by the Murton and Unthanks way.