BERWICK ADVERTISER, 16TH SEPTEMBER 1921

ANOTHER FIRE AT JOHNSON & DARLING’S BREWERY

Maltings, Stores and Kiln Gutted.

Heavy Damage

Within three months from the last outbreak the Tweed Brewery, Berwick, was again the scene of a startling fire on Tuesday morning. The blaze was the biggest, and most appalling that has been seen in Berwick for many a long day, while the damage wrought in such a short space of time was well-nigh staggering. Even a rough estimate of the damage to buildings and material destroyed cannot be given, but there is a likelihood of this being well over £12,000. It is expected that Insurance will cover the heavy loss, and it is not anticipated that the work of the Brewery will be greatly interfered with.

It was on June 17th that the rafters of the malting barley kiln took fire and it is a strange that last Monday, the night after the work of repairing the damaged kiln was completed, fire should again reduce to cinders the labour spent upon it. A little window frame, with the sizing coat of paint and putty still fresh upon it, set in the gaunt wall of the now partly gutted kiln, is a pathetic witness to how the work of mortal man can be undone in a night. As a matter of fact several of Mr R. Sidey’s plasterer’s men had not removed their tools from the building where they had been at work that afternoon before, and these have been lost in the fire. There is no night watchman on the premises, this not being considered necessary with the residences of directors in the firm in the vicinity and adjoining, but when the last of the workmen left on Monday night everything appeared to be all right and nothing out of the way was observed up to a late hour. The cause of the fire is therefore unknown, though it is suggested that the fusing of one of the electric wires which run through the building caused the outbreak. The Inspector from the Insurance Company however, who examined the premises on Wednesday, came to the conclusion that it was highly improbable that the fire had been started by one of the electric wires. There was no fire in the kiln to throw a spark, but the kiln had been whitewashed and got ready for malting to start this week.

There can be no doubt that the fire must have been smouldering for some considerable time before it was observed, for when Mr Thos. Darling was aroused at 2.45 by Mr Younger the flames were through the roof of the malt barn and were shooting for nearly twenty feet into the air. The fire originated in the malt barn without a doubt, and the portion of the building and the kiln were the first to be destroyed.

THE EXTENT OF THE DAMAGE

When day broke the fire was still raging furiously, but the buildings at the malting were little more than gaunt smoke-blackened and flamed-scared walls. The lower concrete floor, or first floor of the building, held, though upon it were tons of smouldering debris, which blazed up at intervals in spite of all the water poured upon it. The bulk of the floor, however, fell on Wednesday night and now lies smouldering in the ground floor. All through the day on Tuesday the first floor of the maltings smouldered and blazed up, and though all immediate danger was then past, fire-hose had to be kept playing on it.

The heavy rain which fell on Tuesday night damped down the smouldering mass but did not succeed in putting it out. A look through the gutted building on Wednesday morning revealed a truly appalling sight. Where large stocks of barley, hops and other brewing materials had been stored was a pitted mass of smouldering debris, with twisted and broken angle irons and bare sticking through. \the screening machinery and other plant used in the malting were entirely destroyed.

Section of the O.S. Map Second Edition, Berwick-upon-Tweed, 1852 showing the Tweed Brewery. Reference: BA-U10-04

The experience gained in this fire will have to be carefully weighed. Had it taken place in the High Street the steam fire engine could have been got to work, there being plenty of water, but in the Palace and no doubt other parts of the town the use of the steam fire engine is impossible. We cannot expect Berwick to maintain a fire prevention equipment like Glasgow or London. We know therefore that under the most favourable conditions, it will be half-an-hour before the Brigade turns out, that their best efforts are bound to be below the standard of city firemen, and that in many cases there will not be sufficient water to put out a big blaze. If there had to be a fire, a better night could not have been chosen for it than Monday. With a gale or a strong wind from the sea the damage must have been very much more serious. Are we going to continue to run the risk of this? If not, there seem to be two lines of defence- Either to increase the pressure of water all over the town, which would be very expensive, or to arrange that the storage of inflammable goods takes place only under approved conditions, which should include patrolling by night watchmen. Otherwise the safety of large blocks of the town may be at stake. One small improvement that could be made straight away is to connect up the telephone with the Superintendent and members of the Brigade, so that the alarm reaches them in their houses immediately, whether they are waking or sleeping. Again, the Brigade and equipment might, with advantage, be inspected annually by an independent expert, and a report presented to the Town Council. The police are inspected annually; why not he Fire Brigade?

THE CLOSE OF THE SALMON SEASON

The season which closed on September 14th is one of the most disappointing there has been. Not that it has been failure, but that at one time it promised to be a record success and then at the beginning of July the fish seemed to disappear in a body. Up till then exceptional catches were obtained both at the netting stations on the river and at the fixed nets on the coast north and south of the river-mouth. The first grilse was caught on April 27th, being earlier than last year, but the yield since then has been poor in number and quality. The great catches of the season were in trout and salmon. The prices realised for Tweed salmon have been good. Most other things have at any rate doubled in price; but this has not been so with salmon, which have therefore been relatively cheap, and certainly, on the whole, considerably lower than last year.

Pictured, in 1956, are sisters Grace and Annie Meston, employees at the former premises of Ralph Holmes & Sons in Bridge Street, Berwick. The salmon was caught at the North Bells Fishery, and weighed in at 38¼ pounds. Reference: BRO 1944-1-1341-3

The most disquieting feature is that for quite a number of years now the fish have fallen away in the latter months of the season. There have been various explanations of this year’s shortage. One of them is that the fish have been driven away by porpoises and dolphins. From the salmon caught it is easily seen that the porpoises have been busy, but they have been no more numerous than they have been in the past, though, of course, the shortage of herring has been put down to the high temperature of the water allowing the sharks to come north. But even if porpoises or sharks explained this year’s shortage that would only be a temporary cause. It is the constant shortage in the later months of the season which is the serious problem. What is more likely to be the correct explanation is that we used to be able to rely on getting floods, say about Tweedmouth Feast time and the Fair, which thoroughly cleaned out the river. These have been wanting in recent years. We have has rises in the river, after rain, but not sufficient in volume to make a clean sweep. They just serve to bring down the accumulated pollution of the river to the river-mouth, nut they do not scatter it out to the sea. The result is that the foul water drives off the fish and they disappear from the neighbourhood entirely. We have had heavy rain lately, and there is osem sign of the fish returning to the river-mouth, which seems to support the theory. On the other hand, it may be simply that they have had their usual tip that the close season is at hand.

The necessity for flooding the river is what makes the abstraction of the Talla water so serious. Most of that water is flood water, and if it were all returned to the river at regular intervals the necessary scouring would not result. We have turned the tweed into a sewer and a sewer needs flushing. To do what is needed, the reservoir’s contribution should be let out once or twice in the season at a gush, when the river is high without it. This unfortunately the reservoir authorities are not prepared to do, but until we can arrange for flushing we may have to do without the fish.

BERWICK ADVERTISER, 2ND SEPTEMBER 1921

BRIDGE TO BRIDGE SWIMMING RACE AT BERWICK

T. ORMISTON WINS “VISCOUNT GREY” TROPHY

A crowd of some three thousand people watched the Bridge to bridge race held in the Tweed on Thursday night last under the auspices of Berwick Amateur Swimming Club and they were privileged to see one of the best races ever held for the trophy presented by Viscount Grey. The only regrettable feature in the proceedings was the poor collection taken, this only being a little over £3, or practically a contribution of £1 per 1000 of those who witnessed the race. As the Swimming Club depends largely on public support for the providing of prizes and running these races, it is hoped greater financial help will be I future extended by the public, otherwise the Club will have to cut out the Bridge to Bridge race and School Gala from their annual programme.

Berwick upon Tweed, Old Bridge

Nine competitors entered for the race. L. B. Dickinson, T. Ormiston, A. P. Hall, A. Erskine ( Kelso), E. J. Denholm, G. Adamson, W. Brotherton, W. Graham and Joe Renton, and when the lot got off their mark in a bunch it was soon evident that the race was going to be keen one. Ormiston and Dickinson swam neck to neck until about thirty yards from the Boathouse when Ormiston drew ahead by about two lengths and Erskine came level with Dickinson, Hall being close up. Up to thirty yards from the Royal Border Bridge Ormiston kept adding to his lead and then Dickinson made a wonderful spurt. He came up hand over hand on Ormiston who only crossed the line a yard and half ahead. The time for the race was 12mins, 12 secs., and a great cheer went up as the men finished.

WOOLER AS A HEALTH RESORT

NEW DEVELOPMENTS

A RUN OVER THE CARTER BAR

The advent of the motor car and char-a-banc have been the means of opening up the country surrounding Wooler, and it is ow possible to do a hundred-mile journey in the district comfortably in one day. It was my privilege to take a trip over the carter Bar a week or two ago in an easy-riding char-a-banc at a very reasonable cost.

Char-a-banc 1920s

Other trips are run during the season to Bamburgh (half-day), Scotland, Edinburgh, etc. These have been largely taken advantage of by visitors, and have added quite a fresh interest to Wooler. Our company, when I went, numbered some twenty-six souls, composed mostly of visitors, with a sprinkling of natives, and a most agreeable company we were. Leaving the Market Place just after 10 a.m. in dull, but fine, weather, we were soon rattling along the road at a steady pace, admiring the scenery as we went. The Haugh Head was soon reached. The old building was for long occupied by the late Kitty Jobson as a beer-house, and before the battle of Flodden (1513) was the head-quarters of Lord Surrey, leader of the English troops, which were camped on Wooler Haugh. The next place that engages attention is Lilburn Tower, the seat of Mr A. B. Collingwood, and its prettily wooded grounds. The dainty lodge at the West entrance looked very pretty with its floral decorations. Hedgeley, with its pretty little cottages, and Crawley Dene are soon left behind, and we are next brought into touch with the ravages of the late war, as Roughley Wood was denuded of its timber and now presents a dreary aspect. A brighter scene awaited us, for Runside Moor was a blaze of purple heather, there being hundreds of acres of it without a break. Our first stopping place was Rothbury, and by the time we had reached there the mist had lifted and the sun began to make its appearance.

BRO 426-1230 Wooler

The village was quite alive, as our friend, Mr R. Donkin, was holding one of his periodical sales of lambs at the spacious mart buildings. After a short stay our journey was resumed through a well-wooded district by way of Thropton, Hepple Old Town, etc. Numerous pretty cottages were passed with happy and smiling inhabitants, who invariably greeted us with a wave of the hand. The scenery begins to change as we ascend the somewhat steep banks. The surrounding hills, bathed in the now bright sunlight, were looking splendid, their sides being here and there covered with heather in full bloom. Our next break was at the old-time village of Elsdon, which nestles in a pretty valley a few miles from Otterburn. The village green is of considerable dimensions, and there is no suspicion of over-crowding. Like all Border villages, Elsdon has a history dating back hundreds of years, when the feuds between the English and Scotch were common. The old church contains some old tablets, fine old windows, and other interesting features, which we had not time to thoroughly examine. Our friend, Mr Brannen, of the Hotel, saluted us as we passed his comfortable hostelry. Otterburn was soon reached, where the famous mills are situated and the noted wraps made. Some time was spent in this pretty, old-time village, and a number of us had lunch at the old-fashioned inn. The church and the pretty chancel was surveyed, while others took a stroll up the burn-side which, although only a tiny stream, rose on one memorable occasion, flooding the hotel and other buildings to the depth of several feet. Between here and Catcleugh the scenery becomes wilder and more romantic. The County Council are making an effort to improve the road over the Carter Bar, but, judging by the few hands employed, it will take some time to complete the job. With so much unemployment here is a chance for putting a few extra hands in useful work. At Catcleugh is the large lake constructed by the Newcastle Water Company. The fine stretch of water with scarcely a ripple on its surface formed a fine setting to the surrounding hills with their craggy peaks or rounded tops. The road leading to the Carter Bar, which is the deciding line between England and Scotland, is in places very steep and the surface not of the best, but much improved on what it was a year ago. On reaching the bar a halt was called to admire the wide and magnificent view. Hill and valley, woodland scenes and heather-clad hills make up a panorama of surpassing grandeur. Several snapshots were here taken, which ought to be interesting mementos in days to come. After a short stay, we resumed our journey. The ride was through a nicely wooded district into Jedburgh, which town also has a history.

BRO 1796-1-10 High Street, Kirk Yeholm early 20th century

The ruins of the old Abbey proved a great source of attraction, and also the old Castle on the hill, from the top of which a charming view of Jedburgh and neighbourhood is obtained. After a refreshing cup of tea, the homeward journey was resumed, passing through the villages of Morebattle and Yetholm as the sun was setting in the West, Kirknewton, nestling snugly at the foot of the College Burn and surrounded by hills looked most peaceful. Wooler was reached soon after 9 p.m., the party all having spent a memorable and enjoyable day’s outing.

EX-SOLDIER WISHES TO JUMP BERWICK BRIDGE

An unusual case came before Mr A. J. Dodds and Mr Walter Hogarth at Berwick Police Court on Tuesday. P. C. Lindsay gave evidence that at about 9 p.m. on the night before (Monday) he received a complaint off the disorderly behaviour of James Ohlsen, a painter, of Leith, who had been working I the town, and cautioned him. Ohlsen then went over the bridge towards Berwick. He took some money out of his pockets and attempted to climb up over the bridge. P.C. Lindsay then apprehended him and locked him up, and he was brought before the Bench charged with being drunk and disorderly. Ohlsen pleaded guilty. He regretted having caused trouble, which was due to his having had some drink, and stated that while serving in France he had been buried and ever since had been subjected to fits. He was fined 5s or 7 days.

BERWICK ADVERTISER, 29TH JULY 1921

TWEEDMOUTH FEAST FESTIVITIES

Splendid Racing on Land and Water

Rain Spoils Cycle Races on Monday

The time honoured festival of Tweedmouth Feast was celebrated this year on a much more ambitious scale than has been the rules for some years past. There were amusements for all, from the round-abouts and side shows in the West End for the youngsters and the frivolous, to professional and amateur races on the flat, cycle races, and a salmon coble regatta.

Tweedmouth Feast, 1966. Ref: BRO 1944-1-4597

The crowd in the town over the weekend was well up to previous standards, and from the Tyneside area large number of old Twampies and Berwickers came back to observe the old ceremony. At the Sports, perhaps the crowd was slightly smaller than in previous years, but the running made it well worth the while of those who patronised the event. Tweedside Cyclists had a great night on Tuesday, and seldom has finer racing been seen.

The Feats of 1921 will be remembered as one crowded weekend of first class sport.

TWEEDMOUTH SHOW,

BERWICK HORSE PROCESSION INCLUDED,

A SUCCESSFUL START TO A NEW VENTURE

When the question of reviving the old time Berwick Horse Procession came up this year, the Committee with a knowledge of past difficulties, decided that to be a financial success, the procession could never be revived on quite the same lines as in pre-war days. The idea of a show to include the horses and other agricultural classes was mooted and taken up enthusiastically by a go-a-head committee with Capt. J. E. Carr as chairman and Mr Ralph Bradford and Mr J. B. Beveridge, Tweedmouth, as secretaries. Last year an attractive programme of sports was arranged for Tweedmouth Feast Saturday, and the Committee, knowing that no better day could be chosen for launching a new venture in Tweedmouth, decided to incorporate the procession and the Show with these sports. During the past few months , a great deal of work has been put into arrangements for Tweedmouth’s first Show – as the inhabitants on that side of the water proudly term it, and the Committee saw the reward of their labours in the successful gathering on Saturday last in Union Park, Tweedmouth. Weather conditions were favourable and a large number of people from the Borough and district assembled off the field to inspect the stock in their pens or see them parade in the ring.

BERWICK AMATEUR ATHLETIC SOCIETY

Rain Blasts Spoil Annual Sports Festival

A Flat Racer’s Day and Cyclist’s Wash-Out

The annual athletic festival held by Berwick Athletic Society was this year spoiled to some extent by the gale which prevailed and the drenching showers of rain which swept over the field at intervals. As might reasonably be expected there was a falling off in the “gate” receipts, and officials tell us that this year the enclosure was dvoid of many of its usual patrons, while country people, too, did not attend in such large numbers as usual.

The heavy rain of the previous night had rather improved the track than otherwise, and all would have been well for competitors had only the weather remained on its best behaviour. Rain, however, fell at intervals, and although it did not interfere with foot racing to any great extent, still the greasy state of the grass rendered cycling extremely hazardous. Many a good cycle race was spoiled by the back markers side-slipping when making their winning-spurts at the bend leading to the home straight, and after the second heavy shower, men who were giving away big starts took no risks. No one could blame them, as several nasty smashes had taken place previously. Fortunately there were no serious results.

The organisation was again this year well-nigh perfect, and the marksmen and officials deserve every credit for the expeditious manner in which the events were run off. Particularly we would give them credit for the way they got through the numerous heats in the boys’ and girls’ races. It was essentially a youngsters’ day. Their races had an entry which promises well for future sports, and heats were all the more interesting because everyone was a tryer.

FETE IN FORD CASTLE GROUNDS

A Fete in aid of the Ford, Etal, Pallinsburn and Milfield Nursing Association was held in the grounds of Ford castle on Thursday last in fine weather. A large gathering of people was present from the district, char-a-bancs running at intervals from Alnwick, Wooler and Berwick. The Fete was opened at 2 p.m. by Lady Francis G. Osborne, Ord House, who was introduced by Mrs Charles Mitchell, of Pallinsburn, Vice-President of the Nursing Association.

Ford Castle Ref: BRO 515-89

Lady Francis, who was accompanied by Lord Francis G. Osborne, was received with cheers. Her remarks were as follows: – Ladies and gentlemen, – If we read the newspapers of today we see there is a great movement on foot to improve the general health of the community – better housing, Infant Welfare Centres, School clinics, all are part of the same scheme. But the district nurses were at work long before such things were thought of. When we look back over their years of work we see how good it has been, and how useful, for it has enabled those people who could not otherwise afford it, to have the benefit of trained nursing in their homes in time of sickness. The expenses of running the Association are increasing and the subscriptions do not cover them, that is why this fete is being held in these beautiful grounds of this historic castle, kindly lent by Lord Joicey. I appeal to you, ladies and gentlemen to open your hearts, your hands, and your purses and make it a huge financial success for the benefit of your friends and neighbours in their time of sickness. I know declare it opened.  (Applause.)