BERWICK ADVERTISER, 9TH JUNE 1922

DEATH OF MR WILLITS

47 YEARS HEADMASTER OF THE BRITISH SCHOOL

The death of Mr H. W. Willitts, formerly headmaster of the British School, Berwick, took place on Sunday after a short illness following a seizure he had over a week ago. The news was received in the town with the deepest regret and none felt it more than those who had passed through his hands during the 47 years he was headmaster at the British School. All over the world where old boys and girls are scattered the news of Mr Willits’ death will come as a personal grief. To know Mr Willits was to gain daily evidence of the interest he held in the well-being of his “boys,” as he familiarly called them, to feel the kindly sympathy he took in their work, and to know that at the times he was most stern, he sought to correct some tendency which might in later life prove the undoing of his pupil.

Mr Willits was the eldest son of the late Mr John Willits, S. S., who for many years acted as manager for Messrs Rennoldson and Capper, timber merchants, Newcastle-on-Tyne, his mother being one of the well-known family of Woodroffe of Surrey. He began his scholastic career as a Pupil Teacher in the Jarrow Chemical Coy’s School at South Shields, and passing the Queen’s Scholarship Examination in the First Division at Christmas, 1868, he later occupied the sixth place in Boro’ Road College. During his stay there he was awarded the only certificate given in his year for School Management, and he left as the second man of his year.

In 1871 he was appointed teacher in the School at New Marske, one of the forty-two schools maintained by Jos. Pease, Esq., and while a student gained certificates in Chemistry, mathematics, Physiography, mechanics and Drawing. After spending five months at New Markse he was appointed to the Berwick British School, on the special recommendation of the late Sir H. E. Oakley, H. M. Inspector for British Schools in the North of England. During his stay in Berwick Mr Willits has had some tempting offers, but all of these he has declined to accept. Away back in 1874 he was invited by Sir H. E. Oakley to become an Assistant Inspector to reside in Durham, but he declined the position.

As a young man, Mr Willits was an adept at rowing and an active and enthusiastic member of the B.A.R.C. For six years he served as a volunteer with the 3rd Durham Artillery Volunteers. He was travelled much abroad, visiting various countries as Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Russia, Germany and Spain, and the information thus gathered has been most helpful to him in his profession, and to the pupils under his instruction, to whom he was ever ready to impart knowledge of the customs and life on the Continent. A keen bowler, he was one of the most enthusiastic members of the Berwick Bowling Club up to 1902, when he met with a serious cycling accident which prevented him from taking further part in his favourite game. In 1896, Mr Willits attained his semi jubilee at the British School, and was on that occasion made the recipient of a handsome gold watch and chain as a token of respect and esteem.

Berwick British School, plan, April 1858. Ref: NDE 08-01

He took an active part in the various organisations in those days, being for thirteen years Secretary and Treasurer of the North Northumberland Teachers’ Association. He was also associated with the Kiln Hill Sunday School, where he conducted a large Band of Hope for many winters, and for fifteen years discharged the duties of Superintendent. Mr Willits was a lifelong abstained and he was always been most assiduous in inculcating temperance principles in the minds of his scholars. He has acted as president of Berwick Choral Union and was vice-president of the old Debating Society which used to meet in the Bankhill Church Vestry. Mr Willits was a staunch Presbyterian and was Senior Elder of the Wallace Green congregation, of which denomination he had been a trustee for 32 years.

Mr Willits retired from the head mastership of the British School in March, 1918, owing to having passed the age limit, and he was then made the recipient of a well filled wallet as a token of esteem and regard from past and present pupils of the school.

Mr Willits was predeceased by his wife, a gifted lady and talented political organiser, a few years ago, and he felt her loss very keenly. He stayed more in the town after her demise, residence at the little bungalow nestling on the banks of the Whitadder at New Mills, where the worthy couple had often resided during Mrs Willits’ lifetime, being too pregnant of memories. He is survived by a grown-up family- Henry, who is a bank manager with Barclay and Co.; John, who during the war held the rank of Commander, and was engaged on convoy work; Fred, who holds an important position in West Africa; Janet, who is in the British School; and Annie, who is married and is in New Zealand.

LOCAL NEWS

Fri. June 9, light up 10.48 p.m. summer time.

Saturday being the King’s birthday the bells in the Town Hall were rung during the day, and the Town Flag and Union Jack were displayed.

Bishop Ormsby, Archdeacon of Lindisfarne, who was seriously ill for so long, received the most cordial of ovations at the Diocesan Conference on Wednesday, May 31st.

Lieut.-Col. The Hon. H. E. Joicey was present at the 14th (King’s) Hussars’ annual dinner at the Grand Hotel on Wednesday, May 31st.

Mr and Mrs Hugh Miller, of the Katzin-Miller Repertory Company, have been spending a holiday in Berwick this week. More information can be found by visiting the Berwick Friends website: http://www.berwickfriends.org.uk/history/hugh-miller-actor/

Hugh Miller (left) and Henry Oscar in a scene from the British film The Return of the Scarlet Pimpernel (1937). Oscar was playing the role of Robespierre and Miller was his secretary De Calmet.

Mr Philip Maclagan, son of Dr P. G. Maclagan, London, and nephew of Dr C. G. Maclagan, Mayor of Berwick, has had a picture hung in the Royal Academy exhibition this year. The picture has been purchased by Mrs Winston Churchill.

BERWICK ADVERTISER, 12TH MAY 1922

ANGLER’S FIND IN WHITADDER.

GOLD MEDAL LOST FIVE YEARS AGO

DISCOVERED IN WADING SHOE

There was no one more annoyed than Mr James Linton, Berwick, five years ago, when he lost from his watch chain in the waters of the Whitadder the gold medal awarded to him in 1906, when he won the championship of Berwick and District Angling Club. On Monday the medal was restored to him, a little damaged no doubt after its long stay in the river bed, but still in fair condition, and the story of how it was recovered is not without interest.

To begin with it was in the summer of 1917 that Mr Linton lost his medal. He was having his holidays at the time and had been fishing on the Gainslaw side of the Whitadder above Canty’s Bridge. He believes the medal broke from his watch chain either as he was coming over the fence at the end of the Plantation or else while he was fishing down the flat opposite Mr Knox’s cottages. From that day to this week the medal was given up as lost by Mr Linton.

Reference: BRO 1550-031

Then came the finding of it which is very curious. An angler fishing up the Gainslaw bank on Saturday afternoon last stepped into the water at the muddy bottom opposite Canty’s Hole. After fishing for a few minutes he felt what he thought was a stone in his wading shoe. On coming to the bank later he was surprised to find inside his shoe a little medal, shaped like a cross, with thistle embellishment, which was tarnished and blackened by immersion in the mud. He polished it up and then discovered the inscription on the back: “Berwick and District Angling Club, won by James Linton, 1906.” Evidently the medal had lain in the mud for years, and when the angler’s shoe had sunk in the mud it had slipped in between the side of the shoe and the wader.

Mr Linton was very pleased to have the badge handed back to him and although it has been damaged, apparently through having been trodden on, he is having it re-mounted.

NASTY CYCLING ACCIDENT AT BERWICK.

TWO BOYS BADLY HURT

While cycling down the hill at Prior House, Berwick, on Thursday night May 3, a lad named Conlin, residing in Mount Road, Tweedmouth, came into violent collision with a little boy named darling, who resides at Murton, and who had run on to the road in front of the cycle.

Conlin was heavily thrown, sustaining a broken collar bone, and the boy darling, who got the full force of the impact, had his leg badly fractured and torn. Darling was conveyed to Berwick Infirmary by motor ambulance and detained, while Conlin, who was severely shaken but less seriously injured, was conveyed home.

LOCAL NEWS

The people of Berwick are beginning to find out the delights of the new pathway along the sea-banks running north from Dod’s Well. The “Primrose Banks” have always been popular, but the going was rather too rough to be frequented much as a regular walk. Now, thanks to the labours of men out of work during the rigours of winter the rough places have been made smooth and the way plain, and with glorious sunshine tempering the sea breezes, a stroll along this path is delightful. As the path winds in and out following the many indentations the sea has made, glimpses of the coast-line can be had from Holy Island and the Farnes up to the point south of Eyemouth. On Sunday the sea was of a glorious blue, with a fringe of dancing white as the waves beat on the rocky shore or dashed into the caves and caverns at the foot of the grassy banks. The coast is nearly all rocky northwards to the “needle Eye,” save for one stretch of sand, rather un-get-at-able because of the steep banks. There is only one objectionable feature to this new walk, and that is a heap here and there of old tins, broken bottles and china that had apparently been tipped over the banks before this new development was thought of.

NORHAM BOATHOUSE FARM

SELLS FOR £1600

On Saturday afternoon Mr W. J. Bolam, auctioneer, Berwick, offered for sale in the King’s Arms Assembly Rooms, Norham Boathouse farm, situated on Tweedside, and extending to 46.695 acres, the property of Sir F. D. Blake, Bart. The adjacent salmon fisheries were not included in the sale and the property was sold subject to all rights of ownership of such fisheries and to all rights of access thereto and to all usage’s enjoyed in connection therewith. Mr Bolam described the farm as one of the best little farms on Tweedside and has the advantages of a gravitation water supply. He also referred to the quarry which would be of some value as houses and cottages would have to be put up some day in the neighbourhood.

BRO 0426-355 Hide Hill, showing the King’s Arms Hotel, Berwick-upon-Tweed

Referring to the reduction in the rate of income tax, Mr Bolam explained that farmers would not feel the benefit of that reduction this year, as the instalment payable in July, 1922, was really in respect of the income for the year ending 4th April, 1922. The basis of taxation of agricultural holdings would in future be on one year’s rental instead of two, or on profits, at the option of the tenant- a privilege enjoyed by no other section of the community. The financial year for tax purposes commenced on April 5th, and tax was payable in two instalments, on January 1st and July 1st, so that the tax actually due in respect of the year commencing 5th April, 1922, was not payable until January 1st, 1923, and July 1st 1923. He mentioned this as there seemed to be some uncertainty in the minds of agricultural tenants on the subject. As to rating relief, nothing definite had so far been promised, but Mr Bolam gave it as his opinion that the authorities would not be able to withstand the pressure of opinion so freely and strongly expressed at all recent meetings of agricultural societies, and he thought it certain that at no distant date some measure of relief must be given to occupiers of agricultural land. These two items had a very important bearing on the question of valuation of land, and he thought intending purchasers should bear them in mind.

Bidding started at £1000 and rose fairly rapidly to £1600, when the farm was knocked down to Capt. Davidson, Charlton Hall, Chathill, Norham, some time ago.

SALMON COBLE IN DANGER OFF BERWICK

THREE MEN RESCUED BY LIFEBOAT

Berwick lifeboat was summoned by the Coast Guards on Thursday night to assist three salmon fishers who had gone to the line fishing in the bay in a salmon coble, which was in danger of being swamped by the choppy sea set up by a westerly gale which was blowing.

NU 00583 52641 from NU 00567 52677

The plight of the men was also seen by a schooner, which was lying in the bay, and that vessel bore down to windward and protected the frail craft from the force of the wind squalls. The lifeboat was launched very smartly, and under sail soon reached the coble, taking the men aboard and the boat in tow. The men, who are employed at Blakewell fishing bat, were Henry Wilson, John Wilson and Thomas Wood, and they were little the worse of their experience when landed.

The rescue was watched by large crowds in the fields and on the Walls and Pier.

BERWICK ADVERTISER, 28TH APRIL 1922

DEATH OF MR GEORGE GRAHAME

On Tuesday evening last week Mr George Grahame retired from the joint Treasureship of Berwick Infirmary at the annual meeting, after taking a keen interest in the institution for many years. Speaking of the financial position of the Infirmary, he described himself as an optimist through and through. “As certain as I am a Berwick man, “said Mr Grahame, “the people of Berwick will give us the money if we tell them what we want.” On Thursday Mr Grahame was himself seized with sudden illness, necessitating an immediate operation. He was taken to Berwick Infirmary. Where the operation was performed on Friday. His strength, however, was not equal to the shock, and one of the Infirmary’s best friends died there on Saturday evening.

Berwick Infirmary and Dispensary, built 1840.

Mr Grahame was the only son of the late Alexander Grahame, gunsmith and jeweller, Hide Hill, Berwick, was born in Berwick, and except for a few years in Alnwick, has spent the greater part of his life in the town. He retired exactly a year ago from the mangership of the Berwick Branch of Barclay’s Bank, after 48 years’ service with the bank and their predecessors, Messrs Woods & Co. He succeeded the late Mr William Miller as manager some fifteen years ago, and last year, on his retiral, was appointed Local Director of the Bank at Berwick.

He has all his life been prominently associated with various organisations in the town. As stated above, he acted for many years as Honorary Treasurer of Berwick Infirmary. He has acted as Secretary of Berwick and Tweedmouth Savings Bank since 1900, when he succeeded the late Mr G. L. Paulin in that office. He was a director of Berwick Salmon Fisheries Company and the Corn Exchange Company.

Berwick Corn Exchange

During the war he acted as Honorary Treasurer of the War savings Committee and was a tireless worker, although at the time he had to carry on with a depleted bank staff. He also acted as Honorary Treasurer for Berwick War Memorial Fund. He was a member of Wallace Green Church, and has been a trustee since 1890 and an elder since 1900. He was very musical and took an active part in the activities of Berwick Choral Union, holding the office of Honorary President for many years.

Mr Grahame married the younger daughter of the late Mr John Stoddart, Tweedside Villa, Tweedmouth, who survives him with one daughter and two sons. His only surviving sister is Mrs S. Riddle, London, Mrs W. Paxton, another sister, having died recently in Edinburgh.

Mr Grahame was a man who did an untold amount of good by stealth and did not like to have it made known. He was consulted by his many friends on all sorts of matters, financial and personal, and always gave helpful advice. Besides being kindly and helpful, he had a way of getting to the bottom of a difficult situation, and his wide experience and thoughtful and impartial outlook made his advice well worth acting upon.

He has done a good deal of social work in the town, and some yeasr ago carried on a very successful young men’s temperance club with the late Mr Matthew Ross. This was at first held in the old Hall, Hatter’s Lane, and later in the old Infant School, College Place. Mr Grahame used to spend every night of the week there and had the satisfaction of looking round the town on many sturdy townsmen who have made their positions- thanks largely to the guidance and advice which they got from him. He also ran a very successful Bible Class in connection with it.

APPRECIATION IN WALLACE GREEN CHURCH

On Sunday morning reference was made to the death of Mr George Grahame by the Rev. W. Jardine before the intercessory prayer, and after the prayer the congregation sang in sympathy the hymn “Now the labourer’s task is o’er.” Mr Jardine preached from the 112th Psalm, 6th verse- “The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.”

Still standing, St Andrew’s church (Church of Scotland), Wallace Green, Berwick-upon-Tweed. © Author: mattbuck, Wikimedia Commons, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic license.

Mr Jardine’s appreciation of Mr Grahame was:- We are met this morning under the shadow of a great loss. Last night there passed away at the Infirmary Mr George Grahame. It is not for me, a comparative stranger, to speak of his service to this community; those are known to you all. The town is poorer today by the loss of one of its leading citizens, a man honoured and loved by all men for his kindliness of nature and charm of his personality and his public services to our many public institutions in this town with which his name is inseparably connected and in which his devoted work will long be gratefully remembered.

But it is fitting here, in this House which he loved, to speak of his work for the Church of Jesus Christ. For over thirty-one years he has been a trustee and for over twenty-one years an elder, and to these offices he brought that ability which distinguished him in every walk of life and that loving kindness which was a special trait in his character. He could rejoice with those who rejoiced, and sympathised with those in sorrow, and was a very present help in time of trouble to many a sorely distressed man. He was a grateful hearer of the “Word” and a faithful doer of the “Will.” He kept the feast with us last Sunday and heard the Resurrection message, and expressed his joy in these services. Now he realises that communion and the fulfilment of that promise of which they were the earnest. We thank God in this House today for may years of faithful service, for the strength he was to the Kingdom of God in this place and for the example of his brotherly serviceable life. Blessed are the dead who die in the lord; they do rest from their works do following them. The righteous shall be in everlasting remembrance.

We give expression tour sense of heavy loss the Church has suffered through his passing, and we extend our heartfelt sympathy to the sorrowing family and friends, commending them to the consolation of God, and praying they have the strength and peace of the great Christian assurance.

FUNERAL

The funeral took place on Tuesday afternoon from his residence Tweedside Villa, Tweedmouth, to Berwick Cemetery, and was most largely attended by friends from Berwick and district.