BERWICK ADVERTISER, 8TH AUGUST 1926

BERWICK PETTY SESSIONS

THURSDAY

Before the Mayor, Major A. Tower Robertson, T. Purves, Ald. T. Wilson, W, T. Hofarth, H. Lockhart, and J. Peacock, Esqs.

THE THIRD REQUEST

Capt. A. F. Watt made application for a dancing licence from 11.30 pm to 1am on 6th August for the Palais de Danse at Spittal. The bench pointed out that this was the third request. Capt. Watt said he had had a special request from some people from Galashiels.

1852 Map- Section of Spittal

Supt. Shiel objected as he thought they were just the ordinary dances. He was informed that after 11 o’clock one night there were only 4 couples or so in the place. Late hours at such a place in his opinion were not in the best interests.

A SCRAP

John Flannigan, Hatters Lane, Berwick, was charged with unlawfully assaulting and beating John Lyall, 94 Castlegate, Berwick, on 28th July.

George Flannigan, another hawker, residing at the same address was similarly charged.

Mr W. S. A. Robinson of Mr Smith’s office appeared on behalf of the complainant, and Mr. H. R. Peters appeared for defendants who pleaded guilty.

John Lyall, a carter, said Flannigan’s stable was next to his stepfather’s. On Wednesday shortly after 2pm, John Flannigan’s car came into the yard. He came into the stable and said, “Shift the b—– carts out of the road” Complainant shifted Flannigan’s cart and his own cart further back. When complainant was trying to move the carts, Flannigan said he was “as weak as a b——kitten.” That led to words and Flannigan offered to fight him. He then struck him in the mouth. The other Flannigan then rushed forward and accused complainant of aggravating an old man. He thereupon struck him (Lyall) and knocked a tooth out. Roland, his stepfather was brought on the scene.

Mr Robert Roland, master carter, 74 Castlegate said when coming down to his stable he met his stepson who made a complaint. He went to the stable and asked G. Flanningan why he had struck the boy. He replied “He was too b—– impudent. He deserved it.” He did not challenge the Flannigan’s to fight.

Thos. Jas. Mills, 38 Bridge Street, aged 12, a schoolboy said in company with Lyall and another companion he was in the stable yard and witnessed the assault.

Geo. Flannigan said Lyall and his father had words. He then saw Lyall square up to his father, and he struck Lyall with the flat of his hand. The latter returned with his stepfather, and he told him he had struck Lyall because he had threatened to strike his father.

Mr Peters suggested that the trouble arose through Lyall refusing to move the carts.

The bench after consideration found both the defts guilty but decided to deal with the under the first offenders Act. They would be bound over in the sum of £20 for six months.

WOOLER

BANK HOLIDAY

Something like record crowds visited Wooler over the weekend, all the hotels, etc., being crowded, and beds were almost impossible to obtain. The numbers arriving by motors, chara-a-bancs, cycles, etc., caused the town to be unusually busy. On Sunday at mid-day, the Pegswood Brass Band enlivened the place with selections of music in the Market Place, which was listened to by a considerable crowd. In the evening the

Main Street, Wooler. Ref No: BRO 426/1228

Amble Symphony Orchestra also rendered a fine selection in the Market place, which was highly appreciated. The streets were very animated on Monday, the motor traffic being exceptionally heavy. The various amusements were well patronised, the golf course, bowling green and tennis courts al being fully occupied. Picnic parties and trips to places of interest attracted others. At night, a good company attended the movies at the Drill Hall. Fortunately, the weather was ideal all through the weekend.

TENNIS DANCE

The annual summer dance in connection with the Wooler Tennis Club took place in the Archbold Hall on Thursday night last. The Hall was tastefully decorated, and quite a large number attended, including a number of visitors to the town. The music was provided by Matt Bagnall’sNewcastle Orchestra, which gave every satisfaction. The general arrangements of the committee under the superintendence of Mr. E.

Archbold Hall, Wooler
Archbold Hall, Wooler, pictured in 1911. The building was demolished in the late 20th Century. Ref: BRO 426/1225

Middleton, hon. Secretary were faultless. Messrs. T. Newton and J. Mills acted as M. C’s, and Mesdames Newton and Greathead were in charge of the supper room. The proceedings were quite a success.

DAYLIGHT CINEMA VAN AT WOOLER

A Daylight Cinema Van which is touring the Berwick Division under the auspices of the Berwick-upon-Tweed Division Conservative and Unionist Association, visited Wooler on Friday last. The van stood in the Market Terrace, and Mr. Courtnay from the Central Office delivered addresses before fairly large audiences. Films were shown of colonial scenery, eminent statesmen, including Mr. S. Baldwin, at work, etc.

BERWICK ADVERTISER, 2ND APRIL 1926

CHAPEL STREET’S UNHEALTHY AREA

A letter was read at the meeting of the Public Health Committee from the Town Clerk of Wallsend, enclosing a copy of a resolution passes by that Council requesting the Ministry of Health to promote legislation, in pursuance of which the Minister shall be enabled to contribute to the cost of providing houses for persons displaced in pursuance of an Order made under Part 11 of the Housing Act, 1925 (relating to unhealthy areas) on the same basis as in the case of contributions made under the Housing (Financial Provisions) Act 1924, and asking the Council to support the proposal by passing a similar resolution.

Chapel Street

It was resolved of that having regard to the suggested scheme for the clearance of Chapel Street unhealthy are, the Chairman and Sanitary Inspector be requested to interview the officials of the Wallsend Corporation on the matter and on that in the meantime consideration of the question of passing a similar resolution be deferred.

The Committee further considered the official representation on the Medical Office of health relative to the Chapel Street unhealthy area. The Borough surveyor submitted a plan of the area and suggested layout thereof, and it was resolved that a special meeting of the Committee be held to further the matter.

Chapel Street

BIRTH CONTROL

A letter was also read to the Committee from Edmonton E. P. C enclosing copies of resolutions passed by that Council urging the Minister of Health to issue instructions allowing Medical Officers in charge of maternity centres to give information on birth control in cases which they consider warrant such information being given, and requesting that the Council support their efforts to secure legislation on the subject. It was resolved that consideration of the matter be deferred until next meeting.

DUMPING OF REFUSE AT OLD QUARRY

A letter was read from a member of occupiers of properties in Shielfield Terrace, Tweedmouth, calling attention to a nuisance at the Old Quarry, caused by the dumping of refuse. It was resolved (i) that the Borough Surveyor be instructed to communicate with the owner of the Quarry on the matter and endeavour to obtain control thereof, in order that the nuisance might be remedied, and that the Town Clerk be instructed to inform, the complainants that the matter is having attention.

PLANS-INCLUDING THE NEW THEATRE

On the recommendation of the Works Committee, the following plans were approved; – Six outbuildings at Northumberland Avenue by Mr John Ayre for various owners; alterations at 4 The Crescent, Spittal, by Messrs Gray & Paterson from Mrs Pardum; alterations to dwellinghouse at Marygate by Messrs Gray & Paterson for Mr John Smith; garage at Springhill by Mr J. E. Carr for Mrs Hinsworth; boarding at Castle Bridge by and for Messrs Symington & Sons, telephone poles at Warkworth Terrace for G. P.O.; drainage at 46a West End, Tweedmouth, for Mr. R. Younger; drainage at 75 West End, Tweedmouth, by Mr D. Watson for Mr A. Shwam; drainage at 74-80 Main Street, Tweedmouth, by Mr D. Watson for the Misses I, and M. Logan; Washhouse at 5 Blakewell Lane, by Messrs Gray & Paterson for Mrs Rutherford; drainage at 108 Middle Street, Spittal, by Messrs A. C. Burn & Son for J. Bruce and others; Theatre at Hide Hill, by Schofield, Southport, for Berwick Theatre Limited, subject to certain details being arranged by the Borough Surveyor with the architect.

Spittal OS Map REF: BA-U10-02 cropped

DANGEROUS CONDITION OF CHURCH STREET PROPERTY

The Borough Surveyor reported to the Works Committee that statutory notices had been served on the owner and occupiers of certain property being Nos 35 and 37 Church Street, relative to the dangerous condition of the building, and that he intended to demolish a portion of it so as to render it safe. It was resolved that the Borough Surveyor be instructed to proceed accordingly.

OPENING OF MUSEUM

The Reading Room Committee reported they had considered the question of reopening of the Museum and had resolved that consideration of the matter be deferred until the next meeting of the Committee. They had also resolved that the Town Clerk be instructed to arrange for the removal of the relics of the Great War to the Museum, and that they be exhibited on the part of the wall indicated by the Committee.

In moving the adoption of the report of the Committee, Councillor Dickinson (chairman) intimated the Museum was now open 9 am till dusk.

Councillor Stuart seconded but did not get a chance of finishing his remarks before Ald Bolus rose to speak.

Ald. Bolus- I think the Council and the town are deeply indebted to Councillor Dickinson and Mrs Dickinson, who have done so much to renovate and make the Museum a place in which one can now be greatly interested. I am sure the council and people in genera appreciate the work which has been done (Applause).

Councillor Stuart- That is just what I was going to say. (Laughter)

PLAYING FIELD FOR TWEEDMOUTH,

PROPOSAL TO PURCHASE BLAKEWELL GARDENS

The business occupying the Council in Committee was the consideration of three reports of a special committee of the Tweedmouth members in regard to the provision of a playing field at Tweedmouth.

The reports of the Committee meetings were as follows:-

At the meeting on 18th September, 1925, when there were present, Councillor Lockhart (Chairman), Ald. Brewis, Councillor Adams,, the Town Clerk reported that only three of the owners of property in the vicinity of the Meadow Fields had assented to the field, if required, being used for recreation purposes. It was resolved that the Town Clerk be instructed to ascertain at what price the northern-most portion of the fields can be acquired, and, if necessary, to offer the sum of £200 per acre; and to ascertain if the land in Blakewell Gardens can be acquired, and at what price.

At the meeting on the 27th October 1925, when there were present, Councillor Liddle (Chairman), Ald Brewis, Councillors Adams and Hay, the Town Clerk reported the present position of the proposal to provide a recreation ground at Tweedmouth. It was reported that lady Osbourne did not desire to sell the Meadows but was willing to assist the town in any way she could. It was resolved that the Town Clerk be instructed to enquire upon what terms Lady Osbourne would sell the Meadow Field north of the footpath leading from the Main Street, Tweedmouth.

At the meeting on the 24th March 1926, when there were present Councillor Liddle (Chairman), Alderman Brewis, Councillors Adams and Hay, the Town Clerk read a letter from the Agent of Ord Estate informing the Committee that the owner cannot see her way to sell the meadow Filed, north of the footpath, leading from Main Street, Tweedmouth and also one from the Agent of Blakewell Gardens, asking the Council to  make an offer, which the owner would be pleased to consider.

It was resolved (i) that the Council approve of the proposal to purchase the Blakewell Gardens as a Playing Field for Tweedmouth, subject to satisfactory terms being arranged; (ii) that the District Valuer be requested to make a valuation of the Gardens and that the borough Surveyor be instructed to prepare an estimate of the cost of converting the Gardens into a playing field; (iii) that the Committee be instructed to report back to the Council.

On the motion of Councillor Liddle, seconded by Alderman Brewis, the Council resolved that the proceedings of the Committee be approved.

BERWICK JOURNAL, 1ST OCTOBER 1925

BERWICK’S MAYORALITY

ALD. ALEX. DARLING

In connection with Berwick’s Mayorality for 1925-26, we understand that Ald. Alex. Darling has been approached to accept office.

Ald. Darling is a native of Berwick, and a prominent member and office bearer of Wallace Green English Presbyterian Church. He has been and is conspicuously identified with Border Sports and Pastimes. As President of Berwick Rangers Football Club, he has rendered valuable service in support of one of the most popular pastimes. He is an official of the North-eastern Amateur Athletic Association he holds high rank in the Masonic world. He has been Worshipful master of St. Daid’s Lodge of Freemmasons, W. M. of St. Cuthbert’s mark Master Lodge of Freemasons and is a member of other branches of Freemasonary. He is an ex-official of Berwick St. Andrew’s Club, Berwick Athletic Society, Ravensdowne Bowling Club, Berwick Amateur Rowing Club, Berwick and District Motor Club, and is connected with almost every sporting institution in the town. He is a Vice-President of Edinburgh Borderers’ Rugby Club. He has been Chairman of Berwick Salmon Company and is a Director of Berwick Gas Company and other companies.

He has an extensive experience of Council work, having presented the Middle Ward on two different occasions; he held the office of Sheriff, 1908-09; and is a Justice of the peace. He was elevated to the Aldermanic Bench in Nov. 1922, to fill the vacancy created by the retiral of the late Ald. Richardson.

Ald. Darling belongs to a family who has a fine record of municipal service. His father, the late Adam Darling, was Councillor, Sheriff, thrice Mayor, Alderman and County Alderman; has brother, County-Alderman Thomas Darling, J. P., has been Sheriff; and another brother, Mr Adam Darling, Bondington, is an Ex-Councillor.

REPORT ON BERWICK MUSEUM

BY MRS W. B. DICKINSON

The following is the report on Berwick Museum by Mrs W. B. Dickinson, prseneted to Berwick Town Council:-

The Museum is in a very neglected condition. This is not the fault of the caretaker, who does his work conscientiously and well. It is in departments not pertaining to his duties that much work and care is required to make the Museum a place that the town may be proud of. The co-operation of the public is also much needed. Perhaps the best way to gain this would be to make a list of the exhibits required, which, with the consent of the Committee, I would be pleased to do after the work of cleaning, re-grouping and re-classifying is finished. For instance, we have no specimens of locally found prehistoric implements. The local historic objects could almost be counted on one hand. We have scarcely half of the British wild animals, and many of the very component birds such as blackbird and robin are needed in the case of British birds. There are no specimens of needlework and only one or two literary exhibits. There is only one exhibit in connection with the Border marriages at Lamberton: none in connection with the Battle of Halidon. There are no exhibits in connection with the Great war, nor anything to remind future generations that the German Zeppelins visited Berwick. These are only a few examples to show what lines the list of requirements might be compiled. On the other hand, we have too many cases of stuffed pheasants, and examples of such monstrosities as two-headed lambs are out of place in a local museum.

In the meantime, the primary work to be done, and which is now proceeding, is as follows:- When the workmen left, the cases were full of dust that had sifted in, covering everything with a thick layer of dirt. The caretaker has scrubbed out the cases and polished the glass, but careful cleaning of all the exhibits is required.

Many of the exhibits have got mixed and require re-grouping and re-classifying.

Some objects are damaged or broken and require careful; mending.

Labels are lost in many cases, also there are labels with no exhibits to correspond, and groups of unlabelled objects with groups of labels beside them that have to be sorted out and re-attached.

As most of the labels are too dirty to read clearly, practically the whole of the exhibits need re-labelling.

Spoiled and unsuitable exhibits need weeding out.

DAVID ATKINSON

The photograph here reproduced is a known face in Berwick, at least to the football fraternity. Davie Atkinson, Berwick Rangers’ captain, is one who has done his bit to help the club along. The backbone of the team, he has many a time carried them through on his own broad shoulders. Davie is an earnest worker, and though he may, at times, be rather robust in his methods, it is but an excess of zeal. Glasgow born, Davie first showed his paces with Jordanhill, a juvenile team. Clyde F. C. spotted the lad, and right away he was transported from the juvenile ranks into senior league football. The Second Division of the Scottish League was formed at the end of the season, and Armadale, who were on the look-out for a good half-back, spotted Atkinson. At the end of the season Davie transferred his services to Dunfermline Athletic, and in May 1923 came to Berwick Rangers as player manager. This season the Club decided not to have a player-manager, but Davie is captain. Atkinson scored the goal which secured his side’s entry int o the Scottish Cup in the qualifying tie against Gala Fairydean.

LOCAL NEWS

Spittal-by-the-Sea grows in popularity on Borderland and far beyond. This noted health and holiday resort was the objective of 70 pupils, who filled 3 char-a-bancs drawn up at Denholm School gate last Friday at 9.30am. Route was by Jedfoot,[sic] Heiton, [sic] Sprouston, Cornhill, Tweedmouth to Berwick. After dinner the company motored to Spittal Beach. There they had Promenade and beach at their disposal. To half of the children this was their first sight of the sea.

One wonders what their thoughts were. Unfortunately, visibility was poor, and the water was sufficiently stormy that no fishing was in progress. In a trice over 100 bare feet were in the brine, and nearly 2 hours the wave and the sand arrested the attention of every boy and girl. Later the rocks, Spa Well, spade works etc attracted attention. Returning to Berwick at 4pm, harbour, town walls and pier were explored. Tea was served at 5pm Some time remained to wander about the town before starting for home at 6.15pm Returning, the route was Coldstream, Birgham and Kelso. By 9 o’clock they had returned safely to Denholm. The desire to have this outing originated with the pupils a year ago, and since September, the teachers have been receiving from them” offerings” for the trip. Each scholar made up his own fare, besides contribution towards cost of dinner and tea.

Driver T. Douglas, and Fireman John Waite, both of Tweedmouth Loco Sheds, N.E.R., have each received from the directors of the company, a bronze medallion for service rendered by them, as the oldest driver and fireman of Tweedmouth, during the recent commemoration of the centenary of British Railways at Stockton and Darlington. The souvenir, for such it is, is a fine piece of work and well worth its place amongst whatever other relics of the past they may have preserved in their possession. Fitted into a neat little case with a cavity for its reception, the medallion bears the following on the obverse side: “Portraits of Edward Pease, Chairman and guiding influence in the management of the first public railway, and of George Stephenson, who built the first engine on the railway, and actually drove it on its historic journey on Sept.27, 1825.”

TWEEDMOUTH RAILWAY STATION, 1936. Ref no: BRO 2482-001

There are also shown the coats of arms of Stockton and Darlington, the two towns between which ran the world’s first passenger train, the arms of Stockton being on the left hand, and those of Darlington on the right. On the reverse side is a figure of Vulcan holding in his hand Locomotive No.1, the first engine to be employed on public railway, with in the background, one of the London and North Eastern Railway Company’s famous 1925 type, “Pacific” express locomotive. A letter has also been received by the two men mentioned, which is as follows;- “Divisional General manager, North Eastern Area, L. and N. E. Railway, York, 24th Sept. 1925. Dear Sir, – On behalf of the Directors of the Company, I have great pleasure in sending you herewith a medallion struck by-in connection with the recent commemoration of the Centenary of British Railways at Stockton and Darlington, which I hope you will accept as a souvenir of the events- Yours faithfully, George Davidson.” Needless to say, both gentlemen are quite proud of the distinguished honour conferred upon them by being presented with so unique and interesting a souvenir, for services rendered ion such an occasion