BERWICK JOURNAL, 5TH FEBRUARY 1925

BERWICK WAR MEMORIAL

“Berwick Journal” Fund Opens Today

5,000 SHILLINGS REQUIRED AT ONCE!

The Sacred Duty of the Town and ITs People.

IN FLANDERS FIELDS THE POPPIES BLOW

BETWEEN THE CROSSES, ROW ON ROW,

THAT MARK OUR PLACE, AND IN THE SKY

THE LARKS, STILL BRAVELY SINGING FLY.

SCARCE HEARD AMID THE GUNS BELOW.

WE LIVED, FELT DAWN, SAW SUNSET GLOW,

LOVED AND WERE LOVED; AND NOW WE LIE,

IN FLANDERS FIELDS.

………………………………………………………………

IF YE BREAK FAITH WITH US WHO DIE,

WE SHALL NOT SLEEP, THOUGH POPPIES GROW

IN FLANDERS FIELDS.

“Berwick Journal” in its leader Column in the issue of this Paper of Jan.29, 1925, said-

“As regards Berwick’s Unfinished War Memorial; if we could afford it we would give the money still required-willingly and cheerfully; we would consider it a privilege and an honour to be allowed for any further reward than the happy satisfaction of having been able to complete, in all humility, so sacred a duty, so long overdue on the part of this Town of ours.

We appeal again to the Memorial Executive and to the Citizens to at once take the final and resolute step to complete the undertaking so that the Memorial under the shadow of the Service Tree may fittingly and decently stand this Summer, and for all time, worthy of our gallant Comrades. We are prepared to open the columns of “Berwick Journal” to raise a Fund to accomplish the end in view; and we are prepared to give 100 Shillings to such a Fund.”

A CITIZEN ON-THE PRIVILEGES OF CITIZENSHIP

Parade, Berwick, 1st Feb., 1925

(The Editor, “Berwick Journal.”)

Dear Sir, -Your Leader in Thursday’s “Berwick Journal” struck the right chord, and I hope there will be a quick and generous response to your Appeal.

Like you and many others, I am profoundly disappointed that our War Memorial is still unfinished, and that the sum subscribed so far is not only in adequate for the purpose but is even insufficient to liquidate the amount already spent.

Berwick’s War Memorial Ref: BRO 426/445

Many of us have already subscribed- (some of us as much as we can afford, some of us much less than we can afford)- but whether we have subscribed well or poorly the need to complete worthily the Memorial is obtrusively insistent.

Hitherto, I had regarded it as a privilege on the part of the Town to establish Memorial to our Heroes, but it looks as if the Town now requires its sense of Duty stirred- a distinction not to our credit.

But from whatever point of view the matter is regarded, I hope your effort will be crowned with success, and as an earnest of that wish I enclose 100 Shillings to your Fund. Yours truly John Brough.

MAYOR’S MESSAGE

The Worship the Mayor of Berwick-upon-Tweed (Ald. Thos. Wilson, J.P.), writes us-

Dear Sir, – With reference to the note in your issue of Thursday last that you are prepared to open the columns of the “Journal” to raise a Fund to complete the Berwick War memorial, I have pleasure in accepting your offer. The War Memorial Committee are extremely anxious that our Memorial should be completed as soon as possible. Tenders have been received for the necessary work, and it is hoped that instructions will be given within the next few days for the work to be out in hand forthwith.

I trust that the inhabitants of the Borough will respond to the Appeal, and that through the Fund you propose to open the money required to complete the Memorial will be raised without delay. Yours faithfully Thomas Wilson, Mayor.

SHERIFF’S SUPPORT-Berwick, Feb.2, 1925

Dear Mr Editor, – Your announcement in “Berwick Journal” last week, – re Completion of Berwick War Memorial-about opening a Shilling Fund through the medium of your Paper, is a noble proposal, and should get the same generous support as you had in your War-Time Efforts for Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Funds.

I have pleasure in subscribing 200 Shillings. Yours truly Henry Stuart, Sheriff.

POSITION OF AFFAIRS

We are informed that about £250 is wanted- that is 5,000 Shillings; and it works out at only about 4d or 5d per head of the population of the Borough! Surely Berwick-upon-Tweed is not going to allow this our overdue Duty to remain any longer overdue. Let us show at once that such is not our intention; and that we mean to have the Memorial complete and in decent, proper and perfect order this Summer.

FIRST LIST

We shall give in next issue of “Berwick Journal” the First List of Subscribers to this Fund, which we have opened, and we trust it will be such a 1st list as will at once make it manifest and clear that the money required is going to be fully forthcoming, and that speedily. We hope with the Mayor that “the money required to complete the Memorial will be raised without delay.”

One thing is certain that if the same sort of generous support as was given to the War-Time efforts made by us, (as referred to by the Sheriff in his letter above), is given to this Appeal, Berwick will soon be in a position to complete what must be very close to the heart of every good citizen.

SACRED DUTY

“Many of us have already subscribed,” as Mr John Brough points out in his letter to us, but that is not preventing patriotic citizens like Mr Brough from expressing themselves as ready and willing to do all they can. That’s the spirit we like. “He who gives quickly gives twice” is an old proverb; and it never had more force than in this Appeal which we make to the Public today. If there be any who may not have yet subscribed, the opportunity now presents itself; and if there be those who having subscribed will join others now in doing more we shall be grateful, and theirs will be the happy satisfaction in helping to the final accomplishment of a sacred Duty which rests on our Town- rests on evry man, woman, and child.

Berwick’s War Memorial with railings

THE CHILDREN’S CHANCE

This is an opportunity for the children-our future men and women-to share in the completion of the Memorial; and thus, to have for all time the proud and fragrant memory that they, too, helped to rear the Town’s Monument to the gallant lads who saved and made secure, for the youngsters, the Homeland. We invite the practical co-operation of parents and guardians and teachers in this direction.

ALL THAT IS WANTED.

Collecting cards may be had on application at “Berwick Journal” Office, 25 High St. Berwick. Every penny given goes to the Fund; all expenses are borne by the Promoters, so that all that is required is for the People to do their share-the early realisation of the money required.

It is up to Berwick-upon-Tweed to see that before Summer arrives, the War Memorial standing at the top of Castlegate, under the shadow of the Service Tree, is fitting and perfectly completed, so that it may stand for all time worthy of our gallant Comrades to whose memory it is reared.

TWEED IRON WORKS-STOKOE FAMILY

During the past weekend, what may be correctly termed that last link in a family connection with a well-known local firm, recently dissolved, was broken when Mr Jos. Stokoe, of Foundry House, Tweedmouth, completed his last duties for the firm-Messrs Robertson and Coy., Tweed Iron Works, better known as the West End Foundry- after 46 ½ years faithful service. The name of Stokoe has been associated with Tweedmouth, and the above-mentioned firm for well over half a century, and no family was more respected, or held in higher esteem. The father Mr Jas. Stokoe, who retired 12 years ago and died at Hexham a few years later was with the firm for 45 ½ years, in the important position of manager. Mr Thos. Stokoe, son, completed 41 years with the firm, and also had an official position for the greater part of his long period of service. Mr Jos. Stokoe, the last to sever the long, honourable family connection at the past weekend, was also in charge of certain departments of the works and was looked upon as a trustworthy servant by his employers. We often hear and read of long service records with business firms, but for a family record with one firm the Stokoe’s will take some beating. The have seen the works in all its stages. In the height of prosperity, when large numbers of men were employed, and young men looked upon it as an honour and the first step to a successful career in life, to serve their apprenticeship in any section of the industry at one time carried on. Their productions have gone all over the world and made a name for the firm and its workmen second to none in British industry. But keen competition brought the dreaded and long looked for depression on the whole place, and for the last few years the usual activities began to languish and die until the firm was reluctantly compelled to cease their operations all round and close the doors. Many have served the firm for long periods, but for a family record, the name of Stokoe stands well out in the foreground.

BERWICK JOURNAL 6TH NOVEMBER, 1924

BERWICK’S NEW COUNCILLORS

Coun. Alex. Robertson is a native of Edinburgh and was educated at George Watson’s College and Milton Public School, where his father, who dies a few years ago, was Headmaster. When he left school, he went to well – known seed merchants in Leith to serve his apprenticeship. Having completed his apprenticeship and acquired a good knowledge of the seed trade, at the age of 19 he received an appointment with Messrs Thos. Carter and Sons, Seed merchants, Berwick. For many years he was a faithful servant of this local firm. Some years ago, he served his connection with this firm and launched out on his own as a seed merchant, being appointed agent for Garton, the famous world seed growers. His business had brought him into contact with a large number of farmers on the Borders, and he is a familiar figure at Berwick Corn Market.

Coun. Robertson is a member of Wallace Green Church, and is a Unionist, being a member of the local Unionist Club. He has been a prominent member of Berwick Town Golf Club. He is a member and has been President of Berwick St. Andrew’s Club, and also the Burn’s Club. He is a member of Wallace Green Literary Society, and has delivered a paper to this Society, and also St. Aidan’s Society.

On several occasions Coun. Robertson has been approached to stand for the Council, but until this occasion he has been unable to see his way to accept. Although he has taken up till now on active part in public affairs, he has always been interested in the welfare and development of Berwick, and he foresees the possibilities of making Berwick a prosperous town again.

A most popular candidate in Mr James Thorburn, Barrack Warden, was returned at the top of the poll for the North Ward. A man of most engaging manner, Mr Thorburn has taken a keen interest in the life of Berwick since he has come amongst us, and that he is an acquisition to the municipality is undoubted.

Mr Thorburn is a native of Melrose, and there he had his early training. He began life’s battle by serving his apprenticeship to the grocery trade in his native town. Imbued with martial spirit, he enlisted into the 18th Hussars, at Berwick-upon-Tweed. He was afterwards transferred to the 20th Hussars and proceeded to India with that regiment. For 6½ years he served in Central India, and was afterwards transferred to Egypt, where he served for 18 months. He returned to the regiment at Cantebury and served on various home stations. In 1906, at Shorncliffe, he was promoted Sergeant; and on 1st January 1914, he received an appointment as Quarter-Master-Sergeant and was transferred to the Northern Cavalry Depot at Scarborough.

There his ability as an accountant and clerk was put to the fullest test. The Great War was declared in August of that year. When we look back with a true perspective to those days, we can now appreciate more fairly the noble work that was done behind the lines. Mr Thorburn would have dearly loved to have gone on active service for his King and Country, but his services were required at home. There was a mobilization of great forces then, unprecedented in the annals of this country. Between 3rd August 1914 to January, 1915, Mr Thorburn put through to the front no less than 12,000 men, in addition to 1600 reservists called up on the outbreak of war. During the war, at Scarborough he had to feed from the Depot no less than four regiments of Hussars overseas with horses, stores and men; but afterwards he was transferred as Quarter-Master-Sgt. to 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth, where 4 Hussars and 5 Yeomanry Regiments, about 4,000 strong, were catered for. Mr Thorburn had a staff of 20 clerks under his direction, but he spared not himself night nor day. His services were appreciated at their true value in Higher circles, and he was strongly recommended for commissioned rank. Nature, however, imposes her limitations upon poor mortals. The strain of this great work of organization told its tale. Mr Thorburn was literally carried from his work into hospital, where he had to undergo a severe operation. He is now, one might say, a memorial to a surgeon’s skill. It is a marvel that he is here today, and able to take such a prominent part everyday life. He has the indomitable spirit. Mr Thorburn was declared medically unfit for service overseas, and his ambition to bear His Majesty’s warrant was shattered.

After 24 years’ active service, he resigned from the Army. He received an appointment as Barrack warden at Strensall Camp. After serving about 3 years there, he received a transfer to permanent appointment as Barrack Warden at Berwick-upon-Tweed in July 1921. It seems a coincidence that Mr Thorburn’s military life should begin and end at Berwick-on-Tweed.

Mr Thorburn has been an active member of the Berwick Branch of the British Legion, and he is also a member of the Northern Area of the British Legion at Newcastle. He also assists Mr Elder in the Coxon’s Lane Mission Sunday School and is also an enthusiastic member of Wallace Green Literary Society, at which he has frequently taken part in the debates. Mr Thorburn confesses to a keen passion for the game of bowls but ranks his ability at the summer game very modestly. Members of Berwick Bowling Club hold a higher opinion of him. He is regarded as a coming man in the game.

BERWICK LADY IN AFRICA

We are glad to hear from a well-known and talented Berwick lady in South Africa-Miss Helen Wallace, East London, daughter of the late Mr Jas. Wallace, Master of Berwick Art School and noted Border Artist of his day. Miss Wallace holds high place as Art Mistress and Artist in South Africa, and her work is notable in the Colonies as well as in the Homeland. Miss Wallace, who belongs to a talented Border Family, tells us she always looks forward with great pleasure to the arrival of her copy of “Berwick Journal.”  We reciprocate all the good wishes she sends us.

BERWICK BIGAMY CASE

A charge of bigamy remitted by the Berwick Magistrates to the Northumberland Assigns, for trial by jury, had a curious termination when it came before Mr Justice Talbot, at the Moot Hall, Newcastle, on Wednesday. The defendants were held not to have committed the offences alleged against them, and the facts disclosed left the presumption that the marriage which formed the subject of the charge was strictly and legally constituted.

Moot Hall, Newcastle.

There were two defendants, both of whom had been on bail. Mary Ann Riley, aged 26 years, was charged with having committed bigamy with William Mavin, at Berwick, on Oct.1, and William Mavin, described as a labourer, 24 years of age, was charged with having aided and abetted the woman Riley in committing bigamy.

Both defendants entered a plea of not guilty.

Mr Muir, counsel for the prosecution, addressing his Lordship, said:- neither of these prisoners was represented in the police court proceedings, my Lord, and in the course of those proceedings the female prisoner, Riley, made a statement that the man Riley, whose name she bore and who purported to be her husband, was already married to a woman named Maggie Lee, of Gateshead, when he went through the form of marriage with her.

His Lordship – That cuts at the root of the offence of bigamy.

Mr Muir – Yes, my Lord. In law she was a single woman at the time she was “married” a second time. In those circumstances, I propose to offer no evidence.

His Lordship, addressing the jury, said that before the offence of bigamy could be committed the person involved had to be already lawfully married. It turned out that this woman accused of having committed bigamy was, in point of fact, not lawfully married to the man whom she thought was her husband. Under those circumstances, when she went through the second ceremony, she was a single woman, and therefore the offence of bigamy had not been committed. Very rightly, no evidence was to be offered by the Crown, so the jury would find the prisoners not guilty.

The jury thereupon returned a formal verdict of not guilty, and the defendants were immediately discharged.

MARSHALL MEADOWS ESTATE IN THE MARKET

Marshall Meadows Estate was offered for sale by public auction in the King’s Arms Hotel, Berwick, on Saturday, by Messrs Thos. H. Sanderson, Son, and Townsend, auctioneers, Newcastle, on behalf of the Trustees of the late Mr Swanston.

King’s Arms Hotel, Berwick. Ref: BRO 426/359

The Estate is situated 3 miles north from Berwick on the Great North Road. The estate, which has a long frontage to the seacoast, has a charming private bay, which is connected to the headland by a subterranean passage.

Postcard showing the cliffs and subterranean passage to Marshall Meadows. Ref: BRO 1636/9/58

A special feature of the estate is the walled garden with its fruit trees and bushes which are in excellent condition; and there is also a large vegetable garden.

There is a fishing shiel on the estate for the persons engaged on the salmon sea fishing. There is a large bed of rich red standstone underlying the estate.

The mansion house is substantially built of stone. On the ground floor are dining room, drawing rooms, library, and smoke room, and domestic quarters while on the first floor is the billard-room, 9 bedrooms, 2 dressing rooms, 3 bathrooms with bath, housemaid’s pantry, etc. On the second floor are 3 bedrooms, attic, boxroom, and servants’ bathroom.

The salmon fishing is let at an annual rental of £80, and 20 for the shiel.

The home farm comprises an area of about 166.359 acres. It is let on a 12 years’ lease at £400 per annum, which expires on Nov. 11 next. This is excellent land, and the farm is in a high state of cultivation.

Total receipts, which include estimated rental of mansion house and grounds, £200, amount to £700, and outgoings total £89 17s 1d.

There was a fairly good attendance at the sale. The auctioneer, Mr Townsend, said the Trustees were most anxious to sell. They had taken the unusual step of publishing the upset price, which was £9000, and if the received an offer of £9000 and no more were forthcoming, be would sell. The estate night be divided into 3 classes. There was the farm, which was one of the best in the neighbourhood. If any of them had seen the stackyard recently they could form some idea of its productive quality. Then there was the fishing which at the present time was let at £100. It was a good little fishing. And lastly there was the mansion house. The farm and fishing were being offered at a very low figure. He was of opinion that a house similar to the mansion house could not be built for less than £10,000 today, and if they put the farm down at 32,000, and the fishing at £1,000 they were getting the house for £6000.

There was no offer, and the estate was withdrawn. Solicitors for the vendors were Mr C H Bernard Aylwin, Esq., 32 Finsbury Square, London, E.C.2, and Jas. T. S. Doughty, Esq., Writer, Ayton.

BERWICK JOURNAL, 31ST JULY 1924

NORHAM CASTLE HISTORY

At the annual summer outing of the Melrose Literary Society to Norham, the following paper on the position of Norham Castle in history and romance prepared by Mr J. E. Fairbairn was read in his absence by Mrs Drummond:-

The habit of this Society in selecting for its annual outing some place famous in literary annals has on this occasion again been amply justified and maintained, for today we meet mot only on the scene of one of the greatest and most stirring poems in the whole range of English literature, but on the banks of that river which had been such a fruitful source of inspiration for many a poet’s fancy. Throughout his life there was no river which appealed to Scott like the ever dear Tweed: he knew it in every aspect, it was his joy to ride its  most dangerous fords, to light its dark waters at night with the flame of the salmon lusterer, or to dream beneath a tree above its flowing waters, and on that memorable afternoon to the music of its ripple he fell asleep. It was only natural therefore that he should have selected the castled steep of Norham, flanked by the fine sweep of the river as the scene of his fresh and galloping poem of Marmion. Did it ever occur to you how I each of his three best known poems Scott weaves his story round some hoary castle on a romantic river bank. In “The Day” it is Newark and Yarrow, in “Marmion” Norham and Tweed, and in the “Lady of the Lake” the final scene occurs in Stirling on the Forth. Most of “Marmion” was composed on horseback, and the cantos ring with the sound of hoof and the jingling of bridle and spur. The preparation for the writing of “Marmion” began with his childhood’s years round the old tower of Smailholm when the love of martial tales was so early implanted in his breast and never ceased to grow until it reached its full maturity. While Scott found the inspiration of the poem in the old story of the feuds between the two Kingdoms with all its accompanying throng of gallant knights and ladies fair, he wove into the still older tale of love between man and maid, and it contains also a fine outburst of enthusiasm for his native city of Dunedin.

Norham Castle on the Tweed. Ref: BRO 515/178

Norham, as you can see, has been something more than an ordinary Border peel tower, and in the height of its glory must have been a place of great dimensions. With its double moat and strong fortifications, it looks as if it would be almost impregnable against attack, while its high and massive walls, even in their decay, are grim and forbidding and suggest defiance to all. This great fortress, set down as it were to over awe a Kingdom, was begun by Ralph Flambard, Bishop of Durham, in 1121, and was completed about 1170 under the succeeding Bishop, Hugh Pudsey, reminding us that in these early days the ecclesiastics, while members of the Church militant, took part also in another form of warfare. Its purpose was to ward off the turbulent and aggressive Scot of the North and was the great Border fortress in charge of the warlike Bishop of Durham. The river in broad volume washes on two sides of the high rock on which it stood in all its grandeur. Within the inner wall stood the massive square keep or donjon of Flambard Pudsey’s days, originally 95 feet in height, and still as a ruin not much less. Norham was the last point to the north of the province of Northumberland, and it eyed the opposite heights of Ladykirk and the Scottish Border with perfectly equipped defiance, and commands even today a view of the distant Lammermuirs to the north, and the triple peaks of the Eildons to the west. Round it cluster important movements in English and Scottish history from the time of King John to James IV. At the head of the island in the river is the ford where James was nearly carried away, and where he made the vow that issued in the building of Ladykirk. The importance of Norham ceased with the union of the Crowns in 1603, when its last Governor, Sir Robert Cary, rode from London to Holyrood in two days to hail James VI.  as Monarch of two Kingdoms. It still frowns across the Merse and carries us in thought back to the days of chivalry when the holding of its great sandstone keep was a gage of knightly honour.

Norham Castle, Harvest Time. Ref: BRO 515/179

Though day set long ago on the living glory of its castled steep the fame of the deeds done there in ancient days is not likely to be forgotten. Its walls still ooze history, and thanks to the genius of a master hand it rises again in all its ancient glory so that its denizens of former times become to us a living presence. Looking on its broken battlements as they yellow in the western blaze we are seeing it in that same golden glory under which Marmion sought its walls. In our mind’s eye we can still see that errant knight in all his panoply and pride come riding o’er the hill. We can still hear the steady tread of the warder on the turret high, and across the calm air of the evening there comes to us a snatch of that ancient Border gathering song. The form of the witching lady Ford still flits across the scene, bearing heavy on her soul the fate of Flodden Field, and with the wail for the Flowers o’ the Forest causing unrest to her spirit. The doughty King James, directing the destinies of battle looms large on Piper’s Hill, and under burden of a mental and more grievous weight than his ponderous iron belt. It is a far cry from Norham to the Scottish capital, but there still comes to us the news of battle ringing down its cobbled streets, and we see the haggard form of Randolph on his weary steed, the sole survivor of that mighty host which but a week before had gathered on the Burgh muir. It is pictures like these and many others that the once proud but now dismantled towers of Norham suggest and conjure up before us. The waters which wash its walls have flowed through a hundred scenes famous in history, renowned in romance, and garlanded with song, past many a roofless Border peel, and before the river loses itself in the bosom of the eternal sea it lingers for a while round this the last of the landmarks on her hundred miles of water way. Norham carries us back to the days of chivalry, and few castles of that period display more of their strength than this stronghold not only so, but that quality also shone, though in a fitful and a fading gleam across the ridge of Flodden.

Norham Castle, Evening. Ref: BRO 515/181

The massive ruin still keeps ward upon the Border side, and Castle and Church and village alike are full of reminiscences of history and romance. Hither in 1318 there came from Lincoln an actual Sir Wm. Marmion, helmed with gold, it is said, under pledge to win his lady love by defending Norham for a year and day. Alas, h however, for the gallant, for the Scots Borderers proved too warlike for him, and he lost his gage, his lady and his life in a single ambuscade. Here in May, 1291, Edward I met the Wardens of Scotland to arrange the succession to the Scottish crown, and thus sowed the seeds of the dire wars of Succession in the northern Kingdom. And it was on the green meadows opposite that in June of the same year the great nobles of Scotland, took upon the gospels, the oath of allegiance to the English King. But these and other actual historical events sink into comparative insignificance with the romantic episodes associated with Norham. In the Abbotsford gallery of fame the haughty crest of Marmion and the abiding love of Clare occupy honoured and important niches, and it is round them that there has been woven that story of glamour and romance which will enshroud the castled steep of Norham until the last day has set upon its battlements and towers.